Delicious! Nutritious! Vegan! Check out this new recipe for an imitation tuna salad made with Lion's Mane, perfect for a sandwich. We haven't been able to find anything else like it, and we can't stop eating it!
The most amazing thing (besides that Lion's Mane supports cognitive function, memory, etc.) is that this recipe actually tastes like tuna salad! Great with chips, on sandwiches, and on its own.
Make the vegan "mayo" first! You can substitute store-bought vegan mayo or regular mayo if you eat eggs, but we've found this mayo to be perfect for this "tuna" salad.
Vegan Mayo Ingredients
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt, more to taste
Vegan Mayo Directions
- Add pepitas to a mini food processor.
- Blend until the seeds are ground to an almost powdery consistency.
- Next add the remaining mayo ingredients to the food processor.
- Then blend until smooth, adding more water 1 tablespoon at a time if needed.
- Now your vegan mayo is ready to be used in the "tuna" salad! Refrigerate what you don't use. Flavor will improve overnight in the fridge.
You'll add the "mayo" to the "tuna" near the end of the recipe. Onward!
- Tear the Lion's Mane into small pieces and sautee on medium heat for 5-10 minutes with a pinch of salt and minimal oil or water.
- Dice the celery and red onion. Place them in a medium sized bowl together.
- Cut the seaweed (if you aren't using dulse). Folding a sheet of the seaweed and using a pair of scissors works well. Place into the bowl with the celery and onion.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix everything together with a spoon until it's the consistency you want.